Search Engine Scoring System
By: Jon C
This article covers TITLE TAGS, MAIN BODY CONTENT, and META TAGS (which is what you see below).
Well-designed sites make the sales! Take some time to seriously evaluate your website and follow the steps in this article, that will help you for achieving high ranking in all the important search engines to you more visitors. If you can implement the methods decribed in this article, you should have no problem getting a fairly high ranking (but I cannot guarenttee that you will get the highest rank possible). All tips are categorized according to its area.
Search enginges give more importance to some items in their ranking algortithims. Following is a list of what items are given the most importance to items that have the least importance, in search engine rankings.
TITLE . 2.0
LINK POPULARITY . 2.0
THE MAIN BODY TEXT . 1.5
DOMAIN NAME . 1.0
KEYWORD PROMINENCE . 1.0
HEADING TAGS . 0.5
PROXIMITY OF KEYWORDS . 0.5
BOLD or ITALIC . 0.4
FOLDER or FILENAME . 0.3
META DESCRIPTION . 0.3
ALT TAG . 0.2
TITLE ATTRIBUTE . 0.2
META KEYWORDS . 0.1
TOTAL HIGHEST SCORE POSSIBLE = 10
TITLE TAG . 2.0/10
The title tag is an important part of a website. It is basically a short description of the page, and the most important words should go first. Every HTML (web page) should have a title tags and all tags should be unique. It is recommended that you do not use the same tage for multiple documents. Some tips to keep in mind when creating title tags are:
- It should always appear immediately after the opening tag
- It should be specific keywords and phrases
- If you use the same keyword twice, do not use it right next to each other. (eg. Professional Marketing Tips . Tips On Marketing>), and do not use one word more than twice.
- Titles should be between 5 . 12 words (less than 60 characters).
- Place primary keyword at the starting of the tag.
- Try to minimize/eliminate the use of commas in this tag.
- Strive for a keyword density of 25-35% for each keyword.
- Always remember to close the tag ()
- All pages MUST have a unique and descriptive keyword phrase in the title.
- Do not change the tag regularly.
THE MAIN BODY TEXT . 1.5/10
Use the following tips to increase the effectiveness of the main body text. These tips also cover Keyword prominience (1.0/10), Heading Tags (0.5/10), Proximity of Keywords (0.5/10), Bold or Italic (0.4/10), and Alt Tag (0.2/10)
- Make sure to put the most important keywords into a carefully crafted paragraph at the beginning of your HTML Page
- Keyword Density: If the page contains less than 500 words, keeping 1-3% of those words is better. If the page contains more than 500 words, keep 3-5% of the overall content.
- Try to keep the word count of anywhere between 250 . 750 words per page.
- Use CSS instead of font tags
- Keep image buttons as text links, or have image and text links.
- Repeat page title in a heading at the top of the page, if possible.
- Use heading tags (, , ., ). You can alter the way these tags look via CSS.
- Keyword proximity: It refers to the closeness between two or more keywords, Always try to group words together that might be searched on as a single phrase by a user.
- Place some important keywords in Bold or Italic.
- Use .Alt. tag to describe images.
- Make sure the code of the homepage is not greater than 32k.
- Try to keep max font size 11px or 12px. (2 or 3 in most web programs).
- Avoid the use of nested loops in structure.
- Use W3C technologies and guidelines
- Update you body text at regular intervals, as many search engines prefer websites which are updated regularly.
META TAGS . Meta Description (0.3/10), Meta Keywords (0.1/10)
- Write it in sentence structure
- Should be relevant to the similat 25-30 words (under 150 characters) description of the first text on the visible page.
- Do not repeat keywords more than 3 times in the description tag, or use different forms of the keyword.
- Minimize the use of stop words such as .and., .the., .of., etc.
- Keyword phrases that appear earliest in the Meta description will generally receive higher ranking value.
- Try to include this tag in all pages by describing the content, and try to be unique in all descriptions.
- Don.t fill your descriptions with only keywords.
- Strive for 5-10% keyword density.
- Keep it less than 130 characters for better results.
- Start with the most important then least important.
- Use keywords/phrases.
- Do not repeat any one word more than three (3) times.
- Do not place repeated keywords together.
- Use keywords that will be actually found on the page, and ones that reflect the essence of your content.
- Try to use small case in keyword/phrases
About The Author
I am veteran programmer in over 7 languages. I currently run my own webhosting company at http://sustainedhits.com.
Last June we released our software development site and came up with some pretty great products that can be found at http://nerdlib.com/
I currently own and operate these sites and have been studying search engines for the last 6 years.